• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing Memorandum of Understanding between India and Kuwait for cooperation on the Recruitment of Domestic Workers.
• The MOU provides a structured framework for cooperation on domestic workers related matters and provides strengthened safeguards for Indian domestic workers including female workers deployed in Kuwait.
• The MOU is initially valid for a period of five years and incorporates provision for automatic renewal.
• Under this MOU, a Joint Committee will be set up to follow up the implementation of this MOU.
• The MOU will promote bilateral cooperation in domestic workers related matters between the two countries.
• Around 3,00,000 Indian domestic workers deployed in Kuwait. This includes around 90,000 female domestic workers.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: India and Kuwait
Mains level: Indian Diaspora