• The National Consumer Day was observed throughout India on December 24, 2018 with the theme “Timely Disposal of Client Complaints”.
• On this day, the Consumer Security Act, 1986 experienced obtained the assent of the president. The enactment of the Act is thought of as a historic milestone in the purchaser movement in the nation.
• The working day offers a prospect to emphasize the value of the shopper motion and the have to have to make each and every purchaser far more knowledgeable of their rights and obligations.
About Nationwide Shopper Working day
• The working day is celebrated on a yearly basis on 24 December to mark the enactment of the Customer Security Act, 1986, that was enacted on December 24, 1986.
• Observance of this working day gives an option for folks to spotlight the significance of the buyer movement and market the standard rights and obligations of all customers.
• The working day also reminds the producers and distributors of goods and services about their accountability towards the safety of client legal rights.
Customer Protection Act, 1986
• The Customer Security Act was enacted with the aim of giving a greater defence of consumer’s interest.
• The act gives efficient safeguards to the client, towards several types of exploitations and unfair dealings, relying mostly on compensatory rather than a disciplinary or preventive strategy.
• The act applies to all products and expert services except if particularly exempted, which covers the personal, public and cooperative sectors. It also provides fast and affordable adjudication
• The Act envisages the marketing and safety of legal rights of people these kinds of as Right to Basic safety, Proper to be educated, Correct to Choose and Ideal to be listened to.
• Not too long ago, on December 20, 2018 Lok Sabha handed the Purchaser Protection Monthly bill 2018 to amend the Act.
• The invoice calls for strict punishment, including jail conditions and significant fines for misleading adverts and food stuff adulteration.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: National Consumer Day