• The Government has envisaged to develop the National Gas Grid. At present about 16,788 Km natural gas pipeline is operational and about 14,239 Km gas pipelines are being developed to increase the availability of natural gas across the country.
• These pipelines have been authorized by Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) and are at various stages of execution viz. Pre-Project activities/laying/testing/commissioning etc.
• PNGRB has authorized GAIL to develop North East gas pipeline to develop approximately 750 km long Barauni – Guwahati pipeline as an integral part of Jagadishpur –Haldia –Bokaro Dhamra Pipeline (JHBDPL) project which will connect North East region with the National Gas Grid.
• Further, PNGRB has also authorized Indradhanush Gas Grid Limited (IGGL), a joint venture company of five Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) i.e. IOCL, ONGC, GAIL, OIL and NRL for the development of North East Gas Grid to connect eight states of North Eastern India.
• This information was given by Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha today.
Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Prelims level: National Gas Grid
Mains level: Ensuring clean fuel across the country