• Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd) today launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 here, thereby beginning the celebration of the National Youth Day 2019.
• Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports proposes to take the Youth Festival to each district of the country and celebrate it as the “National Youth Parliament Festival”.
• Organising District Youth Parliaments and taking the festival to the doorsteps of the youth would provide an opportunity to large number of youth of this country to participate.
• National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 is organised on the theme of “Be The Voice of New India” and “Find solutions and contribute to policy”.
• Youth in the age bracket of 18-25 years are invited to participate in the District Youth Parliaments.
• This is done in order to hear the voice of youth in this age bracket who are allowed to vote but cannot contest in elections.
• The National Youth Parliament Festival will also encourage the youth to engage with public issues, understand the common man’s point of view, form their opinion and express these in an articulate manner.
• Relevant and effective voices on the vision of New India would be captured and documented to make these available to policy makers and implementers to take it forward.
Details about the program
• The National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 will be conducted at three levels:
• I.District Youth Parliament (DYP) at the district level. The participants for DYP would be selected through two screening processes i.e. Digital and Walk-in screenings in Nodal Institution in each district.
• II. State Youth Parliament (SYP) at the State Level.
• III. National Youth Parliament (NYP) at the National Level.
• A maximum of 50 best speakersfrom the Digital screening and 50 best speakers from Walk-in process, shortlisted by the Screening Committee in each district, will participate in the District Youth Parliaments.
• The best three speakers selected by a Jury from each District Youth Parliament will participate at the State Youth Parliament.
• Similarly, the two best speakers selected from each State Youth Parliament will participate as speakers in the National Youth Parliament.
• The highest scorer from each District in the District Youth Parliament (DYP) will participate in the National Youth Parliament (NYP) as a delegate.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Prelims level: Particulars of the Scheme
Mains level: Initiatives for involvement of youth in legislation activities