• The Centre will form a welfare panel for nomadic, semi-nomadic and de-notified communities, Finance Minister Piyush Goyal announced in Friday’s Budget speech.
• “Our government is committed to reach the most deprived citizens of this country. These communities are hard to reach, less visible, and therefore, frequently left out,” said Mr. Goyal.
Key highlights said by the minister
• A committee will be set up under Niti Aayog to complete the task of identifying de-notified, nomadic and semi-nomadic communities, especially as they move from place to place in search of a livelihood.
• The committee will follow up on the work of the Renke Commission and the Idate Commission.
• A Welfare Development Board will also be set up under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to design and implement programmes for these hard-to-reach communities, Mr. Goyal said.
• He said a substantial increase is proposed in the allocation for welfare of the scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Prelims level: Idate and Renke Commission Recommendations
Mains level: Welfare measures for the stigmatized de-notified and nomadic tribes