• NITI Aayog in partnership with Perlin, a Singapore-based AI start up, has launched ‘AI 4 All Global Hackathon’ to further expand the idea of ‘Artificial Intelligence, AI for All’ articulated in the National AI Strategy.
• The challenge seeks to develop solutions in distributed computing and privacy preserving techniques, such as multi-party computation, in artificial intelligence.
• It invites developers, students, start-ups and companies to develop AI applications to make significant positive social and economic impact for India.
• The Hackathon was announced at the AI conference organised by NITI Aayog, in partnership with the ORF, held in Mumbai in November 2018.
• It will be run two stages with the stage one ending on January 15, 2019 and the stage two, which will only include shortlisted participants from the previous stage, will conclude on March 15, 2019.
• The first stage will invite ideas for use cases of multi-party computation in areas such as healthcare, education, agriculture, urbanisation and financial inclusion.
• The second stage will call for these ideas to be matured and developed, with a focus on privacy preserving AI and distributed computing.
• The winners will share in a prize pool worth USD $50,000 in both cash and non-cash rewards.
• The participants will also get mentorship and support from the hackathon co-sponsors, including the opportunity to scale and implement their AI applications.
• NITI Aayog organises hackathons to source sustainable, innovative and technologically-enabled solutions to address various challenges in the development space.
• The government’s policy think tank organised its first hackathon, ‘MoveHack’ in August, on the sidelines of the Global Mobility Summit 2018, with the aim of garnering cutting-edge mobility applications. Over 2,000 submissions were received out of which the top 10 teams were awarded at the summit.
• The AI for All Hackathon underscores the commitment of NITI Aayog to supporting meaningful social, economic and technological advancements directed at making people’s lives better.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
Prelims level: AI , details of the hackathon
Mains level: Applications of AI & its future in India