• The SDG India Index: Baseline Report 2018 shall be released by the NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar, NITI Aayog, CEO Shri Amitabh Kant and UN Resident Coordinator Mr Yuri Afanasievat NITI Aayog tomorrow on Friday, December 21.
• The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which came into being in September 2015, are in the Third year of global implementation.
• The SDGs are ambitious global aspirations on development that address key aspects of universal well-being, across different socio-economic, cultural, geographical divisions as well as the interconnectedness among the economic, social and environmental dimensions of development.
• NITI Aayog has the twin mandate to oversee the implementation of SDGs in the country and promote Competitive and Cooperative Federalism among States and Union Territories (UTs).
• In exercise of these roles, NITI has developed the SDG India Index, a comprehensive Index to measure the progress of States / UTs, through a single measurable Index and the First Baseline Report for 2018, prepared with the support of Global Green Growth Institute and UN in India.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: SDG India Index
Mains level: India’s strategy and outcomes towards attaining SDGs