• On November 5, 2018, National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) partnered up with HCL Foundation and German development agency GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit) to organize “Bal Ganga Mela” at HCL’s Noida campus.
• To encourage students to become ambassadors of change.
Important highlights about NMCG
• NMCG signed an MoU with the HCL Foundation To work on tributaries of Ganga, – Hindon and Yamuna and Increase forest cover in parts of UP and Uttarakhand.
• NMCG is committed towards afforestation and conservation of the Ganga Basin’s ecosystem and its indigenous flora and fauna.
• To scale up the momentum in this direction, NMCG also signed MoU with the HCL Foundation to work on tributaries of Ganga, – Hindon and Yamuna and increase forest cover in parts of UP and Uttarakhand.
The two organizations will work for
• Sensitization/awareness programs on Forest and Environment Conservation.
• Urban and peri-urban afforestation under the urban forest model of HCL Foundation- “Foundation Upvan.
• Mass afforestation on Government allotted land and creation of Urban Forests in partnership with the HCL Foundation and District Administration.
• Ensure plantation success rate of 60 to 70% at the end of 10 years from the date of signing of the MoU between both the parties.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Bal Ganga Mela
Mains level: Not Much