• Like Ola and Uber, Chennai Metro will soon offer its commuters a facility to book a ride through its mobile app, for travelling to areas around stations.
• According to officials of Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL), they have tied up with a firm to offer the service.
• The (firm’s) icon for this service will be created in the Chennai Metro Rail mobile app and when commuters touch the icon, it will direct them to the firm’s vehicle booking page and they can hire a car.
• The vehicle will pick them up from a station and drop off at their respective destination, which should be within 5 km in and around the station.
• This facility should be in place in a month.
At nominal prices
• The prices will be nominal and fixed in the range of ₹ 15-₹ 20. Currently, there are share auto services in Guindy, Alandur, Thirumangalam, Little Mount, Ekkatuthangal, Koyambedu, St. Thomas Mount and Ashok Nagar and share car services in AG-DMS, Anna Nagar East, Koyambedu, Alandur and Vadapalani. Commuters are charged ₹10 and ₹15 for share auto and share car services respectively.
• In a month’s time when all 45 km of phase I project becomes operational, these services that offer last mile connectivity for commuters will be available in all stations.
• Chennai Metro Rail has finalised the route for each station through which these vehicles will ply.
• Also, a commuter can book a cab by calling the Chennai Metro Rail helpline 18604251515.
• The vehicle will come and pick up a passenger and drop him/her off at the nearest station.
• Though this service initially didn’t have too many takers, now, the stations are getting about 70-80 calls a day from commuters.
• This apart, there are also cycles, cars and bikes available for commuters in many stations.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: Metro app
Mains level: Not much