• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 29, 2018 visited Varanasi and Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh on December 29, 2018.
• The Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of professional medical Higher education in Ghazipur during the take a look at in the presence of Main Minister Yogi Adityanath. He took inventory of the preparations for the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
6th Global Rice Exploration Institute dedicated to the country
• The Key Minister devoted the 6th Intercontinental Rice Exploration Institute (IRRI), South Asia Regional Center (ISARC) to the country. The Institute is developed at the campus of Countrywide Seed Research and Teaching Center (NSRTC) in Varanasi.
• It will serve as a hub for rice investigation and education in South Asia and SAARC area. This to start with global Centre in eastern India is envisioned to harness and maintain rice generation in the location.
• India’s affiliation with IRRI dates again to 1960s, and Key Minister Narendra Modi was the 1st Indian PM to check out IRRI headquarters in Manila, Philippines in November 2017, the place he talked over agricultural innovations and analysis advances for the rice sector.
Postage stamp on Maharaja Suheldeo
• A commemorative postal stamp on the Maharaja Suheldeo was released by the Prime Minister in Ghazipur exactly where he also dealt with a community rally.
One District, A person Item Regional Summit
• The One District, One Products Regional Summit was held at Deendayal Hastakala Sankul (Trade Facilitation Centre & Crafts Museum) in Varanasi.
• ‘One District One particular Product’ plan is aimed at maximizing the expertise of regional persons and growing the attain of the indigenous trades, crafts and merchandise from small cities and tiny districts in the state.
• These crafts and items include handicrafts, food items processing, engineering items, carpets, readymade clothes, and leather items and so on which not only make the international exchange but also deliver work to the people.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: International Rice Research Institute