• Around 96.5 percent of the households in Rural India who have access to the toilet use it as per the National Annual Rural Sanitation Survey (NARSS) 2018-19, conducted by Independent Verification Agency (IVA).
• The NARSS also re-confirmed the Open Defecation Free (ODF) status of 90.7 percent of villages which were previously declared and verified as ODF by various districts/States themselves.
About the syrvey
• The survey was conducted under the World Bank support project to the Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G).
• The survey was conducted between November 2018 and February 2019 and covered 92040 households in 6136 villages across all the States and UTs of India.
• The survey used the Probability Proportion to Size (PPS) sampling methodology, which yields 95 percent accurate results. The data was collected using the Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI) platform.
• The survey also covered schools, anganwadis and public/community toilets of the villages.
• 93.1 percent of households were found to have access to toilets during the survey period.
• 96.5 percent of the people, who had access to toilets, actually used them;
• 90.7 percent of villages which were previously declared and verified as ODF were confirmed to be ODF.
• The remaining villages also had sanitation coverage of about 93 percent
• 95.4 percent of the surveyed villages have minimal litter and minimal stagnant water
• The Independent Verification Agency (IVA) presented the findings of the survey to the Expert Working Group (EWG) constituted for oversight of NARSS.
• The group comprised of representatives from the World Bank, UNICEF, Water Aid, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, India Sanitation Coalition, NITI Aayog, and Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
• Following this, the IVA submitted their provisional summary results report and raw data to the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, and the same was made publicly accessible on the website of Ministry.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Independent Verification Agency