• Indian Ports Association (IPA), under the guidance of the Ministry of Shipping, launched the Port Community System ‘PCS1x’.
• The URL www.indianpcs.gov.in was launched by Shri Sanjay Bhatia, Chairman IPA in the presence of various stakeholders from Mumbai today.
• It was attended by all Major Port Chairman through video conference.
• While launching the portal lauded the effort of all involved for completion of the project in a record time of 6 months.
About PCS 1x’
• ‘PCS 1x’ is a cloud-based new generation technology, with a user-friendly interface. This system seamlessly integrates 8 new stakeholders besides the 19 existing stakeholders from the maritime trade on a single platform.
• The platform offers value added services such as notification engine, workflow, mobile application, track and trace, better user interface, better security features, improved inclusion by offering a dashboard for those with no IT capability.
• A unique feature of ‘PCS1x’ is that it can latch on to third party software which provides services to the maritime industry thereby enabling the stakeholders to access a wide network of services.
• The system enables single sign-on facility to provide a one-stop interface to all the functionalities across all stakeholders.
• Another major feature is the deployment of a world class state of the art payment aggregator solution which removes the dependency on bank-specific payment ecosystem.
• This system will enable trade to have an improved communication with the customs as they have also embarked on an Application Programming Interface (API) based architecture, thereby enabling real-time interaction.
• This System offers a database that acts as a single data point to all transactions.
• It captures and stores data on its first occurrence thereby reducing manual intervention, the need to enter transaction data at various points and thereby reducing errors in the process.
• It is estimated that this feature alone will reduce 11/2 to 2 days in a life of the transaction.
• The application will have a cascading effect in reducing dwell time and overall cost of the transaction.
• The platform has the potential to revolutionize maritime trade in India and bring it at par with global best practices and pave the way to improve the Ease of Doing Business world ranking and Logistics Performance Index (LPI) ranks.
• A major training and outreach program is underway to educate the stakeholders about the uses and benefits of ‘PCS 1x’.
• This system is also an initiative that supports green initiatives by reducing dependency on paper. The web-based platform has been developed indigenously and is a part of the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Digital India’ initiative of the Hon’ble Prime Minister.
• The Ministry of Shipping is separately issuing an order to make usage of the PCS platform mandatory.
Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Prelims level: PCS 1x portal and its features
Mains level: Improving logistics sector of India