• The International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements was launched on January 29, 2019, at the headquarters of UNESCO in Paris.
• The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) stated that the events and activities will be held throughout the year in order to mark 150 years of the formation of the periodic table by Russian scientist Dmitri Mendeleev.
• Dmitri Mendeleev was the man who published the periodic table for the first time in 1969.
About the UNESCO event
• The event will highlight the importance of periodic table in various science disciplines.
• The event was inaugurated by UNESCO Director-General Audrezy Azoulay, along with Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation Mikhail Kotyukov, President of France’s Academe des Sciences Pierre Corvol and CEO of PhosAgro Andrey Guryev.
• Scientists and representatives of the private sector also came together for the event.
• The year 2019 was declared as the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements (IYPT 2019) at the 74th Plenary Meeting.
• Aim of the International Year of Periodic Table of Chemical Elements. The fundamental motto of IYPT 2019 is to recognize the importance of periodic table of chemical elements as one of the most important and influential achievements in modern science.
• The periodic table reflects the essence of all basic science disciplines like- physics, biology and chemistry.
What will the event reflect about the periodic table?
• The official launch of the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements will provide many opportunities to reflect on many aspects of the periodic table.
• The event will throw light on the history of periodic table, the role of women in research, global trends and perspective on science for sustainable development, and the social and economic impacts of this field.
• Events to be organised by UNESCO to celebrate the periodic table UNESCO is organising many events this year to celebrate the foundation of periodic tables. Some of the events to be organised are:
• Online competition to test high school students’ knowledge of the table
• Scientific experiments to be brought to schools around the world
Prelims level: Basic knowledge of the Periodic Table
Mains level: Not Much