• Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has been awarded the Carnot Prize for his contribution towards sustainable energy solutions by the University of Pennsylvania here on Wednesday.
• Goyal, who was facilitated by the University of Pennsylvania’s Kleinman Center for Energy Policy, has donated the prize money to International Solar Alliance.
About the Carnot prize and its eligibility
• The Carnot Prize is given to the personalities who have revolutionised the understanding of energy policy.
• Former Power Minister Goyal received the award for bringing in transformational changes in its power sector, including the fast-track electrification of nearly 18,000 villages in some of the most remote and inaccessible parts of the country.
• Some of the other projects initiated by the Minister of Railways and Coal include rolling out a comprehensive power sector reform plan and the world’s largest LED bulb distribution and renewable energy expansion programme.
Mains Paper 3: Science and thechnology | Electrification technology
Prelims level: Carnot prize
Mains level: Read the story