• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 16, 2018, inaugurated various projects worth Rs 199.65 crore under Namami Gange Programme in Prayagraj, including 175 KM of sewerage network.
• The projects will prevent 7.8 crore litres of sewage from flowing untreated into Ganga River every day.
• This untreated sewage water will be carried every day to existing Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) at Salori, Kodra & Ponghat for treatment.
• The projects were inaugurated in the presence of UP Governor Ram Naik, UP CM Yogi Adityanath, Deputy CM Keshav Prasad Maurya, and Minister of Urban Development Suresh K Khanna.
Foundation stone laid for two projects in the Trans Ganga/Yamuna area
• Prime Minister Modi also laid the foundation stone for two projects in the Trans Ganga/Yamuna area under ‘One City-One Operator Scheme’ with a sanctioned cost of Rs 767.59 crore.
• The project is based on Hybrid Annuity based PPP mode that includes Operations and Maintenance of the entire sewerage infrastructure for 15 years.
• These projects include Intersection and diversion (I and D) of sewage network, 7 sewage pumping stations and 3 STPs of the total capacity of 72 million litres per day (MLD).
• These 3 STPs of 72 MLD capacity will be – Naini (42 MLD), Phaphamau (14 MLD) and Jhusi (16 MLD).
• With these projects, there will be comprehensive sewerage coverage of Prayagraj, including areas on the other side of the Ganga and Yamuna rivers.
Projects already sanctioned under Namami Gange Programme
• Under Namami Gange Programme, 10 projects have been already sanctioned at an estimated cost of Rs 2915.78 crore for creation of 779 Km sewerage network and construction of 8 STPs having a total capacity of 191 MLD.
• 4 projects were completed during 2016, leading to the creation of sewage treatment capacity of 119 MLD and laying of 129 km of sewerage network.
• 2 Projects pertaining to Sewerage District A & B in Prayagraj are under advanced stage of execution and are expected to be completed by March 2019.
• These projects will lead to the creation of 456 Km of sewerage network and would feed to existing STPs at Naini and Numayadahi.
NMCG sanctions funds for Kumbh Mela
• The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) on December 15, 2018, sanctioned a financial assistance of Rs. 113 crores for the construction of 27,500 toilets & 20,000 urinals in Uttar Pradesh during Kumbh Mela 2019.
• With this funding, NMCG aims to support the sanitation initiative of the Government to reduce pollution in river Ganga before Kumbh begins.
• NMCG sanctioned additional Rs 16.68 crore for ‘Paint My City’ and other such activities.
• The ‘Paint My City’ campaign aims to connect people with the city and make it clean and beautiful on the eve of the Kumbh.
• The authority allocated another Rs 3.6 crore for 16000 dustbins and lining bags.
• Bioremediation projects have been also sanctioned for 53 drains.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Namami Gange Programme
Mains level: Read the story