• PM Modi inaugurated the Bogibeel Bridge on the beginning anniversary of the late Atal Bihari Vajpayee i.e. December 25 which is observed as “Good Governance Day”.
• This 4.9 km-long bridge is the nation’s only completely welded bridge and for the 1st time European codes and welding expectations had been adhered to and it has a life of about 120 years.
• The Bogibeel Bridge connects the southern bank of the Brahmaputra River in Assam’s Dibrugarh district with Silapathar in Dhemaji district, bordering Arunachal Pradesh. This Double-Observe and 3-lane Street Bridge will be the lifeline of the north-Japanese portion of India
• The railroad bridge is made at an expense of Rs 5,900 crore and it is Asia’s 2nd-longest railroad bridge.
• The bridge is component of infrastructure jobs planned to improve logistics along the border in Arunachal Pradesh which consists of the construction of a trans-Arunachal freeway on the Brahmaputra’s north lender, and new road and rail backlinks over the river and its main tributaries.
Significance of the bridge
• The bridge is referred to as “Lifeline of Assam”, It is an asset for the entire north-Japanese region. The positive aspects of the bridge include:
• It lowers vacation time from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh to four several hours and will remove a detour of in excess of 170 km by way of Tinsukia.
• It also cuts down the teach vacation time in between Delhi and Dibrugarh by about a few hours.
• The bridge will also play a vital function in defence of the region by facilitating ease of mobility to the India-China border in Arunachal Pradesh and also the three street lanes of the bridge can act as a few landing strips for the Air Pressure.
• The foundation stone for the Bogibeel Bridge was laid by previous Key Minister High definition Deve Gowda on January 22, 1997.
• The work had begun on 21st April 2002, underneath the Atal Bihari Vajpayee led authorities.
• It is now inaugurated on the delivery anniversary of the previous Primary Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Bogibeel Bridge
Mains level: Significance of the Bogibeel Bridge