• Project Cosmic Microwave Background-Bharat is under consideration by ISRO.
About Project Cosmic Microwave Background-Bharat
• CMB-Bharat is a proposal for comprehensive next generation Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) mission, which could help listen to the faintest murmurs of the early universe.
• It is proposed as an international collaboration mission with major Indian contribution.
• It is a space-based mission to observe the anisotropies as well as the spectral distortions in the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB).
• CMB-Bharat mission presents a unique opportunity for India to take the lead on prized quests in fundamental science.
• It can simultaneously gain valuable expertise in cutting-edge technology for space capability through global cooperation.
What are the goals?
• The “ultrahigh goal” was that the project would reveal the first clear signature of quantum gravity and ultrahigh energy physics in the very early universe.
• The “high” goals lay in neutrino physics where it could discover more about the neutrino species, their total mass and mass hierarchy.
• It could also map all dark matter and most baryons in the observable universe.
• The aim is to improve probe of the cosmological model and to generate rich galactic and extragalactic astrophysics datasets.
Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Achievement of Indians in science & technology
Prelims level: CMB
Mains level: CMB-Bharat will be path breaking project along with various ongoing projects such as LIGO etc.