• Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises under Ministry of Power, Government of India, launched its Super-Efficient Air Conditioning Programme for residential and institutional consumers.
• These Super-Efficient Air Conditioners are 40% more efficient than, but priced comparably with, the 3-star ACs currently available in the market.
• Besides promoting energy efficiency, the Super-Efficient AC programme will also help to reduce the peak power demand enabling energy security and sustainability.
• The programme directly addresses the prospect of the nearly four-fold increase in energy consumption from buildings and cooling appliances in India by 2032, while also enabling achievement of India’s targets under the Kigali and Paris Agreements.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited
• Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), is a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises– NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), REC and POWERGRID, and was set up under Ministry of Power.
• EESL aims to create market access for efficient and transformative solutions that create a win win situation for every stakeholder.
• EESL has distributed over 29 crore LED bulbs and retrofitted 50 lakh LED streetlights across India through self-sustaining commercial models.
• It aims to explore new opportunities in overseas market for diversification of its portfolio. EESL has begun its operations in UK, South Asia and South-East Asia.
• This programme is partially supported by a grant from the Global Environment Facility (GEF). Further, Asian Development Bank (ADB) is providing necessary grant support and loan while United Nations Environment (UNEP) is providing technical assistance support to the Super-Efficient AC programme.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: Energy Efficiency Services Limited
Mains level: Read the highlights