• The Tamil Nadu government on December 9, 2018 launched a 24-hour toll-no cost helpline ‘181’ for ladies experiencing domestic violence and sexual harassment.
• The initiative was introduced by the state’s Main Minister K Palaniswami.
• The shift will help girls going through domestic violence and sexual harassment at dwelling or workplaces to get hold of the toll-no cost helpline to get unexpected emergency assistance these as police assistance, authorized aid or clinical solutions like an ambulance.
• The helpline initiative has been made at a expense of Rs 62.70 lakh.
• The service will be out there for 24 hrs on all times of the 7 days.
• Apart from offering authorities aid to victims of domestic violence, the helpline would assist ladies in receiving information on welfare schemes aimed at their advantage.
• On the celebration, the Tamil Nadu Main Minister also gave away gold and funds to seven beneficiaries of a government plan aimed at women of all ages.
• The plan termed ‘gold for mangalsutra’ plan is a flagship initiative of the ruling Tamil Nadu governing administration.
• It aims to supply an allowance of 8 grams of gold and income support to girls from economically backward family members for their marriage.
• The condition has allotted amount value Rs 724 crore for the plan for the year 2018-19.
• The plan is aimed at benefitting around 1.11 lakh beneficiaries.
• The Main Minister launched lots of other initiatives via video conferencing.
• He laid the basis stone for a variety of initiatives to be implemented at an believed sum of Rs 96 crore in different parts of the condition by the Community Will work Division (PWD). He also inaugurated jobs really worth Rs 34 crore.
Mains Paper 1: Society
Prelims level: 24-hour helpline
Mains level: Read the story