• A team of Greek and Spanish doctors has produced a baby (in Greece) using genetic material from two women and a man.
• The technique used is called as ‘Maternal Spindle transfer’ in which maternal DNA is put into the egg of a donor woman, which is then fertilized using the father’s sperm.
• The procedure was developed to help existing IVF treatments in which mothers have mitochondrial diseases.
• The technique is considered controversial by some doctors.
• Mitochondrial diseases are long-term, genetic, often inherited disorders that occur when mitochondria fail to produce enough energy for the body to function properly.
• In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a medical procedure in which mature egg cells are removed from a woman, fertilized with male sperm outside the body, and inserted into the uterus of the same or another woman for normal gestation.
Mains Paper 3 : Science and Technology
Prelims level : Three-Person Baby