• The University Grants Commission has deferred its decision on granting the Institute of Eminence tag to more educational institutions.
• The expert committee has recommended more than the mandated number that the scheme allowed.
Key suggestions by the expert committee
• The government had asked the expert committee in 2017 to find 20 institutions.
• 10 public and 10 private institutions with the potential to be world-class teaching and research institutions that could be given the tag.
• Sushma Yadav, a member of the University Grants Commission, said the empowered expert committee has recommended 30 names 15 in each category.
• “But the government scheme said we had to select ten in each category [of public and private institutions].
• So we decided to refer back to the government, whether they want to expand the scheme.
• Yadav said it was not just a question of naming the institutions, but also granting public institutions Rs 1,000 crore in special funds.
• Yadav added that the expert committee had not listed the names in any preferential order or ranking.
• Yadav also clarified that there had been no mention or discussion of a report or input from the Intelligence Bureau on universities that have been critical of the government and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• A report on Monday had said that the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development was hesitant to give such universities the Institute of Eminence tag.
• In July, the Human Resource Development Ministry granted the Institution of Eminence status to three public and three private educational institutions in India after the empowered expert committee recommended 11 names.
• The six institutions included the Mukesh Ambani-backed Jio Institute, which is yet to be set up.
• In December, the committee recommended 19 more names.
• Now it taking the total list to 30.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Prelims level: Institute of Eminence tag
Mains level: Impact of having the tag