• Shri Manoj Jhalani, Additional Secretary & Mission Director (NHM), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
• It has been conferred with the prestigious UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) Award for his outstanding contribution towards prevention and control of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and related Sustainable Development Goals.
India’s efforts for prevention and control of NCDs
• It is in recognition of Government of India’s efforts made in the field of prevention and control of Non-Communicable Diseases.
• National Programme to control NCDs has been scaled up by more than eight times in the past four years and covers all the 36 States/Union Territories now.
• The Government has also initiated population level prevention, control, screening and management initiative in almost 200 districts under NHM which will cover people above 30 years of age.
• When fully rolled out, the population-based screening will reach over 500 million adults with health promotion, risk reduction, screening, early detection and management of common NCDs.
• Free diagnosis, treatment, follow-up, referral and back referral have been integrated into the program with an IT platform developed through a multi-stakeholder partnership.
• The intervention also forms the core of Ayushman Bharat, comprehensive primary health care program.
Analysing the multi-sectoral nature of Health issues
• The risk factors of NCDs are multi-sectoral and many of the interventions to control these lies outside the health sector.
• A National Multi-sectoral Action Plan has been developed which outlines the interventions for different sectors of the Government and other stakeholders.
• The United Nations Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) on the Prevention and Control of NCDs coordinates.
• The activities of relevant UN organizations and other inter-governmental organizations to support Governments to meet high-level commitments to respond to NCD epidemics worldwide.
• The commitments were made by Heads of State and Government in the 2011 Political Declaration on NCDs.
• The Task Force was established by the UN Secretary-General in June 2013 and placed under the leadership of WHO.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: UNIATF
Mains level: India’s efforts for prevention and control of NCDs