• United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has condemned the suicide bombing in Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir, in which over 40 Indian paramilitary forces personnel martyred.
• UNSC has urged all States to cooperate actively with the Government of India and all other relevant authorities in this regard.
• The members of the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, as well as to the Indian people and the Government of India, and wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.
• Pakistan-based terrorist organization Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has claimed responsibility for the attack.
• The attack has received global condemnation from a number of countries including the United States, Russia, France.
• New Zealand parliament has passed a resolution condemning the attack.
Significance of Condemnation
• The condemnation of the attack by UNSC is a diplomatic win for India and can be seen as a part of India’s efforts to isolate Pakistan at International level.
• There may also be a shift in China’s stand against Jaish-e-Mohammad Chief Masood Azhar as the statement by UNSC names JeM as the perpetrator of the attack.
• Though JeM has been under sanction by UNSC since 2010. China has continuously vetoed resolution listing JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar as a “global terrorist” at the UN Security Council Resolution 1267 sanctions committee for the last 10 years.
UNSC Resolution 1267 Sanctions Committee
• This committee oversees the implementation of sanctions pursuant to UNSC resolutions 1267, 1989 and 2253.
• It is one of the most important and active UN subsidiary bodies working on efforts to combat terrorism, particularly in relation to Al Qaeda and the Islamic State group.
• It discusses UN efforts to limit the movement of terrorists, especially those related to travel bans, the freezing of assets and arms embargoes for terrorism.
• India has made at least three attempts in the last decade — in 2009, 2016 and 2017 — to list JeM chief as “global terrorist”. All attempts have been blocked by China at Pakistan’s behest.
Why China Blocks UNSC Resolution 1267 against Azhar?
• Official line by China for blocking the proposal is that it wants to “uphold the authority and validity of the 1267 Committee”. China also insists that there isn’t enough evidence to designate him a “global terrorist”.
• But the real reasons are far from the official stand and includes:
• Protecting its “all weather” ally Pakistan.
• Good relations with Pakistan and international protection for terrorist proxies like JeM provide China with insurance against terrorist attacks on CPEC infrastructure and the thousands of Chinese working on them.
• Business interests in the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
• Chinese firms have invested close to $40 billion in around 45 CPEC projects. China is determined to protect this gigantic investment of money, personnel and time.
• Making things difficult for its Asian rival India.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: UNSC
Mains level: Important international institutions