• The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism, Shri. K. J. Alphons along with a delegation of senior officials is attending the 109th session of United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Executive Council in Manama, Bahrain.
• The three day Session of UNWTO Executive Council began on 30th October 2018.
• The Executive Council will discuss several topics on the agenda that are related to the development of global Tourism sector.
• As the chair of the Committee, the Minister informed the session that for the first time, UNWTO had a surplus budget and most of the arrears due have been paid.
• India will be the chair of Programme and Budget Committee of UNWTO Executive Council till 2021.
• The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
• The UNWTO Executive Council represents the Organization’s governing body whose task is to take all necessary measures in consultation with the Secretary-General, for implementation of its own decisions and recommendations of the Assembly and report thereupon to the Assembly.
• The Council meets at least twice a year, the next to be held in Bahrain.
• The council consists of 35 Full Members elected by the assembly in proportion of one member for every Five Full Members, in accordance with the Rules of Procedure laid down by the Assembly with a view to achieving fair and equitable geographical distribution.
Prelims level: UNWTO and its mandate
Mains level: Not Much