• Uttar Pradesh state cabinet today approved construction of a four-lane Ganga Expressway connecting Prayagraj to Western Utter Pradesh which would cost about 36,000 crore rupees.
• Briefing media persons about Cabinet decisions at Prayagraj, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said this expressway will provide better connectivity to Prayagraj.
• He said Ganga Expressway will be 600 kilometres long and can be expanded to six-lane in future. Chief Minister said after completion it would be longest in the world.
• The state cabinet also gave approval to several other infrastructure and pilgrimage augmenting projects and schemes.
• The Chief Minister said along with Bundelkhand Defence Manufacturing Corridor, a new 291 kilometres long Bundelkhand Expressway will also be constructed at a cost of 8864 crore rupees.
• Mr. Adityanath also said Gorakhpur link of Poorvanchal Expressway would be expanded to Azamgarh and Ambedkar Nagar Districts.
• For the promotion of spiritual tourism, the government also gave its nod to augment develop and beautify Rishi Bhardwaj, Valmiki, Rishi Shringi, Mata Shanta and Nishadraj located at Prayagraj.
• The State cabinet which met for the first time outside state capital Lucknow also announced sops for farmers and doctors of SGPGI.
• The state government decided to reserve posts of Chairman) and Deputy Chairman of state Agriculture Production Market Committees for registered farmers.
Key highlights taken by State capinet committee
• The State cabinet also decided to waive off SGST for recently released movie URI-the surgical strike as it is instilling nationalism and patriotic feelings.
• Mr. Yogi said the cabinet also paid rich tribute and its condolence to former union minister George Fernandes who passed away today.
• Extending the benefit of Mukhyamantri Awas Yojna to leprosy patients, Mr. Adityanath said 3641 homeless patients would get benefit under this scheme.
• Earlier Chief Minister and his cabinet colleagues visited Hanuman Temple, Askhayvat at Sangam in Kumbh City. Yogi Adityanath and other ministers also took a holy dip at Sangam.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Ganga Expressway