• Initiating waste-to-energy project, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to conduct a geological survey for landfill.
• The BMC intends to convert the debris into electricity.
• This is amidst intermittent fires at Deonar and Mulund dumping grounds over the last few years that have attracted national attention.
==> Waste-to-energy plant
• The waste-to-energy plant is waste management facility that combusts wastes to produce electricity.
• This type of power plant is sometimes called trash-to-energy, municipal waste incineration, energy recovery or resource recovery plant.
• Modern waste to energy plants is very different from the trash incinerators that were commonly used until a few decades ago.