• In the period of turbulence caused by the pandemic, Legal Services Authorities creatively adapted to the new normal and moved LokAdalat to the virtual platform called as Online Lok Adalat or e-Lok Adalat.
• e-Lok Adalat has potential to transform legal landscape of India by settling people’s grievances at their places.
• They are also cost effective as it eliminates the need for organisational expenses.
About Lok Adalat:
• Lok Adalat is one of the alternative dispute redressal mechanisms where disputes pending in the court of law or at pre-litigation stage are settled amicably without any expense on litigants.
• They have been given statutory status under Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
• It generally consists of a judicial officer as the chairman and a lawyer and a social worker as members.
• They are instrumental in reducing the burden on arrears of the court disposal of long pending litigation between the parties.
• Awards is deemed to be a decree of a civil court and is final and binding on all parties and no appeal against such an award lies before any court of law.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: E-Lok Adalats
Mains level: Functions of the E-Lok Adalats