• Minister of External Affairs participated in the 3rd India-Australia-Japan-USA Quad Ministerial Meeting.
Key highlights of the meet:
• Highlighted the shared attributes as political democracies, market economies and pluralistic societies.
• Expressed Commitment to cooperate in enhancing access to affordable vaccines, medicines and medical equipment.
• Called for furthering cooperation in areas like maritime security, HADR (Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief), supply chain resilience and counter-terrorism.
• Reiterated commitment to rule of law, rules-based international order, respect for territorial integrity and sovereignty, which is seen as reference to China’s movies.
• Emphasized Upholding democratic transition noting the situation in Myanmar.
About Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad):
• Idea of Quad was first mooted by Japanese Prime Minister in 2007 among four countries— US, India, Japan and Australia, which did not take off for various reasons.
• It was revived in 2017, due to reasons such as growing convergence among countries, increasing significance of Indo-Pacific region, rising threat perceptions vis-a-vis China etc.
• Key focus of Quad has been to bolster cooperation on advancing a free and open Indo-Pacific.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: Quad Ministerial Meeting
Mains level: Key highlights of the meet