• Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health participated in the 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA) through Video Conference.
• At the assembly, more than 100 countries including India backed a resolution drafted by the European Union calling for an independent inquiry into the pandemic, which has claimed more than 3 lakh lives globally so far.
• The World Health Assembly is the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO).
• It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and focuses on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board.
• The main functions of the World Health Assembly are to determine the policies of the Organization, appoint the Director-General, supervise financial policies, and review and approve the proposed program budget.
• The Health Assembly is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: 73rd World Health Assembly