(This current affair one-liner is available on youtube – https://youtu.be/0enBJ1JyEl0 )
• National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) released Rs.20,500 crore to co-operative banks and regional rural banks (RRBs) for on-lending. The disbursement to RRBs and Co-operative banks is the part of Rs.25,000 crore of special refinance plan which was approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to RRBs, Co-operative banks and Microfinance Institutions (MFIs).
• The Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) reported that the export from India is expected to fall by 20%, around $50-$60 billion, in the current fiscal year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also suggested a decline in imports. FIEO directed the exporters to improve their competitiveness in the global markets.
• Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) announced results of the Star rating of garbage-free cities for the assessment year 2019-2020. A total of six cities have been certified as 5-Star, 65 cities as 3-Star, and 70 cities as 1-Star. The results were announced by Hardeep S, Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs.
• The India Meteorological Department (IMD) alerted Cyclone “AMPHAN” which has developed into a super cyclone in the Bay of Bengal on 19 May. The intensification of the storm from category I cyclone to category V in less than 18 hours. Cyclone AMPHAN is linked with climate change.
• Madhya Pradesh state government launched the Charan Paduka initiative. The first of its kind of initiative is for the migrant laborers passing through the Madhya Pradesh. Under the Charan Paduka campaign, the migrant laborers who are heading back to their native land will be provided shoes and slippers to reduce their pain.
• Development of Museums and Cultural Spaces, Ministry of Culture, Government of India hosted a webinar on “Revitalising Museums and Cultural Spaces” on 18 May. The webinar aimed to celebrate the International Museum Day and kick start conversations around creating sustainable cultural organizations in post-pandemic India.
• India participated in the 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA) on 18 May. India was represented by Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare through video conference. WHA addressed Global Vaccine Plan, polio eradication, and neglected tropical diseases other than COVID-19.
• Government has decided to implement three important recommendations of the Shekatkar Committee of Experts (CoE). The CoE is headed by the Chairmanship of Lt General D B Shekatkar (Retd). The recommendations are related to border Infrastructure like speeding up road construction, leading to socio-economic development in the border areas.
• IT solutions provider ESDS Software Solution has developed AA+ COVID-19 Testing Solution, a rapid COVID-19 detection solution powered by Deepiotics. A solution is an AI-enabled tool that detects COVID-19 from Chest X-rays (CXRs). AA+ COVID-19 Testing Solution has been designed in a way that it can indicate whether the patient is suffering from COVID-19 in less than 5 minutes.