( This one-liner is available on youtube too – https://youtu.be/RwClHdGvV58 )
• Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has achieved a milestone in the construction of a 440m tunnel below the densely populated Chamba town on Rishikesh-Dharasu road. It is a programme taken up by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for connectivity improvement for Chardham (Kedarnath, Badrinath, Yamunotri and Gangotri) in Uttrakhand.
• In July, China will launch its first Mars mission, the ‘Tianwen-1’. It is an all-in-one orbiter, lander, and rover.
It is expected to land on Mars in the first quarter of 2021. The aim of the mission is to search the Martian surface for water, ice, investigate soil characteristics, and study the atmosphere.
• A new study has claimed that hospital staff with mild forms of novel coronavirus infection developed antibodies that could prevent reinfection. The study was conducted on hospital staff, including doctors and nurses, who had recovered from mild symptoms of COVID-19 in Northeastern France.
• SN Rajeswari, General Manager, New India Assurance (NIA), has been selected by the Banks Board Bureau (BBB) as the Chairman and MD of the Delhi-based Oriental Insurance Company (OIC). Earlier, Centre proposed to merge three PSU general insurers, OIC, National Insurance Company (NIC) and United India Insurance.
• This year’s Annual Kheer Bhawani Mela has been cancelled by the Dharmarth Trust of Jammu and Kashmir because of the outbreak of Coronavirus pandemic. Kheer Bhawani Mela is one of the biggest religious functions of Kashmiri Pandit Community.
• With the number of COVID-19 patients rising in India, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals will conduct ‘FAITH’ trials to test the combined efficacy of two antiviral drugs — Favipiravir and Umifenovir — as a potential COVID-19 treatment strategy.
• Power Finance Corporation (PFC) entered into an agreement with Narmada Basin Projects Company Ltd. (NBPCL) to fund projects worth Rs.22,000 crore for 225 MW hydro-electric projects & multipurpose projects in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
• Ministry of Culture’s National Gallery of Modern Art organised a virtual tour titled “Ramkinkar Baij | Journey through silent transformation and expressions” to commemorate the 115th Birth Anniversary of Ramkinkar Baij. Ramkinkar Baij (1906-1980), one of the most seminal artists of modern India, was an iconic sculptor, painter and graphic artist.
• Velankanni in Tamil Nadu has thrown up a new species of small freshwater fish. The silver-hued fish has been named Puntius Sanctus — ‘Sanctus’ in Latin for holy — after the popular pilgrim town. “The Puntius species are known locally as ‘Paral’ in Kerala and ‘Kende’ in Tamil Nadu.