• Assam keelback has recently been rediscovered after 129 years in Arunachal Pradesh.
• The scientific name is Herpetoreas pealii.
• It is commonly known as Assam keelback; Peal’s keelback.
• It is a species of snake in the subfamily Natricinae of the family Colubridae.
• The species is endemic to Northeast India. It has been recorded from Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
• The species is small — about 60 cm long, brownish, with a patterned belly.
• It was discovered 129 years ago in 1891 by Samuel Edward Peal, a British tea planter based in Upper Assam.
Mains Paper 3: Environment
Prelims level: Assam keelback
Mains level: Key findings about the species