• The Bureau of Police Research and Development released Data on Police Organizations.
Key data on Police Organizations:
• India’s actual Police-population ratio (number of police personnel per lakh of population) is 195.39 and there are only 20,91,488 police personnel actually in service against the sanctioned strength of 26,23,225.
• United Nations (UN) recommended standard is 222 police per lakh persons.
• More than 5.31 lakh posts in different state police forces and 1.27 lakh posts in CAPF are lying vacant.
• A high percentage of vacancies within the police forces exacerbates an existing problem of overburdened police personnel.
• Women in police: It is just 10.30% of the total police force and only 2.98% of the total strength in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF). There has been a 16.05% increase of women police over previous year.
• According to the UN, women police officers correlates positively with reporting of sexual assault.
• This skewed ration leads to impediments in effective implementation of the legislations on crimes against women.
Bureau of Police Research and Development, under Ministry of Home Affairs, is mandated to
1. promote excellence in policing,
2. promote speedy and systematic study of police problems,
3. apply science and technology in method and techniques by Police.
Mains Paper 3: Security
Prelims level: Ministry of Home Affairs
Mains level: Key highlights about the data on Police Organizations