• The Committee will be headed by the Minister of State for Home G Kishan Reddy and will include elected representatives from Ladakh, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, central government, and the Ladakh administration.
• Formation of the committee is imbued with significance, as there has been a demand from locals to include Ladakh in 6th schedule of the constitution to protect its unique identity.
• 6th schedule gives tribal communities of Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya, and Mizoram considerable autonomy and also protect their land rights from outsiders thorough various provisions.
• Ladakhi population is predominantly Buddhist, similar to the religion and culture, of Tibet and Central Asia.
• Fa-Hein referred Ladakh as Kia-Chha and Hiuen Tsang as Ma-Lo-Pho.
• Language spoken: Ladakhi, Tibetan, Urdu, Balti.
• Music and dance: Chham, or the mask dances, lharna, jabro, spao, shondol, chartses and mentok stanmo music of Ladakh involves religious chanting (such as Yang chanting). Instruments used in the performance of these folk music and dances are daman, surna and piwang.
• Chanting of Ladakh is included into UNESCO’s List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
• Sowa-Rigpa an ancient Indian medical system conceived and propounded by Lord Buddha is included in National List for Intangible Cultural Heritage.
• Famous Monasteries: Lamayuru, Hemis,Thiksey, Shey, Alchi, Likir, Phyang.
• Famous festivals: Losar, Hemis Tsechu and Saka Dawa.
Mains Paper 1: Art and Culture
Prelims level: Sowa-Rigpa
Mains level: Highlights the committee to protect language, culture and land of Ladakh