• China has officially downgraded its diplomatic ties with Lithuania after it allowed Taiwan to open a de facto embassy in Vilnius.
• China considers the self-ruled and democratically governed Taiwan island as its own territory.
• Taiwan says, it is an independent country called the Republic of China, its official name, and that the People’s Republic of China has never ruled it and has no right to speak for it.
• Taiwan has been upbeat by growing international support for it, especially from the US and some of its allies, in the face of China’s military and diplomatic pressure.
• Lithuania is a country in the Baltic region of Europe.
• It is one of three Baltic states and lies on the eastern shore of the Baltic Sea.
• Lithuania shares land borders with Latvia to the north, Belarus to the east and south, Poland to the south, and Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast) to the southwest.
• Its capital and largest city is Vilnius.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: Lithuania
Mains level: Read the newsfeed