• An international team of researchers made the first putative direct detection of dark energy.
• Dark energy, the mysterious form of energy that makes up about 68% of the universe, has intrigued physicists and astronomers for decades.
• Dark energy has been noted as “the most profound mystery in all of science”.
Dark energy Vs Dark matter:
• Everything we see – the planets, moons, massive galaxies, you, me, this website – makes up less than 5% of the universe.
• About 27% is dark matter and 68% is dark energy.
• While dark matter attracts and holds galaxies together, dark energy repels and causes the expansion of our universe.
• Despite both components being invisible, we know a lot more about dark matter, since its existence was suggested as early as the 1920s, while dark energy wasn’t discovered until 1998.
• They noticed certain unexpected results in an underground experiment and write that dark energy may be responsible for it.
• The XENON1T experiment is the world’s most sensitive dark matter experiment and was operated deep underground at the INFN Laboratori Nazionali del Gran Sasso in Italy.
• The finding also suggests that experiments like XENON1T, which are designed to detect dark matter, could also be used to detect dark energy.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Tech
Prelims level: Dark energy
Mains level: Read the newsfeed