• Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways informed Rajya Sabha about the steps taken to reduce Road Accidents in the country.
• Observance of National Road Safety Month/Week every year for spreading awareness and strengthening road safety.
• A Certification Course for Road Safety Auditors has been commenced in Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE).
• High priority to identification and rectification of black spots (accident-prone spots) on national highways.
• Safety standards for automobiles have been improved.
• Ministry has notified fitment of Speed Limiting devices on all transport vehicles.
• Scheme for setting up one model Inspection & Certification Centre in each State/UT with Central assistance for testing the fitness of vehicles through an automated system.
• The recently passed motor vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 provides for strict enforcement through use of technology and further provides for strict penalties for ensuring strict compliance and enhancing deterrence for violation of traffic rules.
• Issue of Guidelines for protection of Good Samaritans and draft rules as per MV (Amendment) Act, 2019 has been published.
• The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 provides for a scheme for the cashless treatment of victims of the accident during the golden hour.
• The National Highways Authority of India has made provisions for ambulances at all toll plazas on the completed corridor of National Highways.
Mains Paper 3: Disaster Management
Prelims level: Indian Academy of Highway Engineers
Mains level: Deaths Due to Road Accidents