Mains Paper 3: Environment
Prelims level: Draft Climate Adaption Plan
Mains level: Disaster Management
• Mumbai is undergoing a much-needed exercise, that matters not only for its environment but also the city’s future, by drafting an ambitious Climate Adaption Plan.
To make the Climate Adaption Plan foolproof, the authors have suggested the following recommendations:
• Climate adaptation planning is the need of the hour to protect all citizens from Climate change-induced cyclones, storm surges and floods.
• As the city desire to mitigate its emissions and adapt to new climate risks and vulnerability, all its existing and future infrastructure needs to be subjected to careful climate tests.
• While Climate mitigation and adaptation initiatives are separately identified across 6 sectors in the MCAP process.
• However, for an initiative like EV transport expansion, the power grid also needs to be greener rather than coal thermal power plants based.
• Therefore the interventions proposed under MCAP to inhibit a complex urban network needs to be done in an integrated manner.
• The MCGM needs to build an effective process for ongoing climate change planning rather than focus only on creating the fixed product of a climate plan.
• Responding effectively to the diverse climate challenges calls for building a robust, decentralized process that connects broader principles of the MCAP to specific ward-level systems.
• To make the draft Climate Adaption Plan successful, the process needs to be democratized by coordinating with many govt agencies and involving the majority of stakeholders in the consultative process.
• The most critical aspect of the plan is to ensure the even distribution of environmental burden and cost among all citizens irrespective of economical hierarchy.
• To ensure Mumbai’s ambitious MCAP to increase the city’s ability to withstand environmental disasters, the need of the hour is to ensure democratization and participation of all the major stakeholders in the planning and decision-making of MCAP.
Q.1) With reference to the glue grant scheme, consider the following statements:
1. Under the glue grant scheme institutions in the same city would be encouraged to share resources, equipment and even allow their students to take classes from each other.
2. It was announced in Union Budget 2015-2016.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2