• The 75th anniversary of the end of the ‘World War II in Europe’ was celebrated by the United States, Europe, and Russia.
• Victory in Europe Day (abbreviated to VE Day) is the day celebrating the formal acceptance by the Allies of World War II of Nazi Germany’s unconditional surrender of its armed forces on 8 May 1945, marking the end of World War II in Europe.
• Several countries observe public holidays on the day each year, variously called Victory Over Fascism Day, Liberation Day, or simply Victory Day.
• Several former Soviet bloc countries like Russia, Belarus, and Serbia celebrate on 9 May as the end of all combat actions was specified at 23:01 Central European Time, which was already 9 May in the USSR.
• Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, had committed suicide on 30 April during the Battle of Berlin, and Germany’s surrender was authorized by his successor. The definitive German Instrument of Surrender was signed on 8 May 1945 in Karlshorst, Berlin.
• The war against Japan had not yet been won which surrendered on August 15 after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Second World War
Mains level: Details about the Second World War event