• Digital Ocean is a state of the art data platform to provide ocean data related services at one place.
• It includes a set of applications developed to organize and present heterogeneous oceanographic data by adopting rapid advancements in geospatial technology.
• It has been developed by the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) of the MoES.
• INCOIS provides ocean information and advisory services to various stakeholders, including Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ) advisories, Ocean State Forecast (OSF), high wave alerts, tsunami early warnings, etc.
Significance of the Digital Ocean:
• It will serve as a one stop-solution for all the data related needs of a wide range of users.
• Data from various project like Deep Ocean Mission, ‘Samudrayaan’ project, research on alternate sources of energy, etc would be included.
• It will help to assess the evolution of oceanographic features through 3D and 4D data visualization.
Importance of Ocean Data:
• It helps to improve our understanding of working of oceans thus play a central role expanding Blue Economy initiatives.
• It will help in capacity building on Ocean Data Management for all Indian Ocean Rim countries.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Tech
Prelims level: Digital Ocean
Mains level: Significance of the Digital Ocean