• GHI Is a tool for comprehensively measuring and tracking hunger at global, regional, and national levels, score.
• GHI is published by Concern Worldwide (international humanitarian organization) and Welthungerhilfe (private aid organisations in Germany).
• Nearly 690 million people are undernourished; 144 million children suffer from stunting, 47 million children suffer from wasting, and in 2018, 5.3 million children died before their fifth birthdays.
• Africa South of the Sahara and South Asia have the highest hunger and undernutrition levels. 3 countries have alarming levels of hunger – Chad,Timor-Leste, and Madagascar.
• India ranks 94 out of 107 countries in the Index, lower than neighbours such as Bangladesh (75) and Pakistan (88). with a score of 27.2, India has a level of hunger that is serious.
• India has the highest prevalence of wasted children. The situation has worsened in the 2015-19 period, when the prevalence of child wasting was 17.3%, in comparison to 2010-14, when it was 15.1%. 14% of India’s population is undernourished.
Composition of the global hunger index:
Inadequate food supply undernourishment:
• Measures inadequate food supply, and important Indicator of hunger.
• Refers to the entire population, both children and adults.
• Used as a lead indicator for international hunger targets, including the SDGs.
Child mortality under-five mortality rate:
• Death is the most serious consequence of hunger, and children are the most vulnerable.
• Improves the GHI’s ability to reflect micronutrient deficiencies.
• Wasting and stunting only partially capture the mortality risk of undernutrition.
Child undernutrition: Wasting, Stunting:
• Goes beyond calories availability, considers aspects of diet quality and utilization.
• Children care particularly vulnerable to nutritional deficiencies.
• Is sensitive to uneven distribution food within the household.
• Stunting and wasting are nutrition indicators for the SDGs.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Global hunger index
Mains level: Composition of the global hunger index