• India has entered the top 10 list of the countries exporting agricultural produce in the year 2019 with a sizable share in the export of rice, cotton, soya beans and meat.
• As per a report by World Trade Organization (WTO) on the trends in world agricultural trade in the past 25 years, India and Mexico with 3.1% and 3.4% share in global Agri exports, respectively, replaced New Zealand (9th) and Malaysia (7th) as the largest exporters across the globe.
• The United States of America (USA), which topped the list in 1995 with 22.2% share of world Agri export, was overtaken by the European Union (EU) in 2019 with 16.1% global Agri share.
• Notably, the top exporting nations of rice in 1995 were Thailand (38%), India (26%), and the US (19%). In 2019, India with a lead of 33% overtook Thailand (20%) to top the list, while Vietnam (12%) overtook the US and climbed to the third spot.
• Further, India is also the third-largest cotton exporter (7.6%), and the fourth-largest importer (10%) in 2019.
• In the largest traded Agri product, soya beans, India (0.1%) has a meagre share, but was ranked ninth in the world.
• In the “meat and edible meat offal” category, India secured 8th rank in the world with a global share of 4%.
• India’s share of foreign value-added content in its Agri exports clocked 3.8% share primarily due to high tariffs on Agri imports to boost the domestic markets and local farmers.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: World Trade Organisation
Mains level: World’s top agricultural exporters list