• This is the sixth consecutive edition of India Rankings of Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
• NIRF has been accepted by the MoE in September 2015. This framework outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country.
• It is the first-ever effort by the government to rank HEIs in the country. Before NIRF, HEIs were usually ranked by private entities.
• Participation in the NIRF was made compulsory for all government-run educational institutions in 2018.
• All education institutions are assessed on five parameters namely teaching, learning and resources, research and professional practices, graduation outcomes, outreach and inclusivity, and perception.
• NIRF lists out best institutions across 11 categories i.e., overall national ranking, universities, engineering, college, medical, management, pharmacy, law, architecture, dental and research.
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: India Rankings 2021
Mains level: Highlights the India Rankings 2021 by NIRF