• Russia is planning to set up a manufacturing unit producing Russian military hardware under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
• It enhancing connectivity including the International North-South Transport Corridor and the Chennai-Vladivostok Eastern Maritime Corridor.
• Talks on creating a free trade area between India and Eurasian Economic Union.
• EAEU member countries include Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan.
• India reiterated Russia as a “key partner” in India’s Indo-Pacific initiative.
• Two sides discussed vaccine cooperation and held that production of Russian vaccine in India is under discussion.
• Russia underlined need for inclusive solution to Afghan crisis, which has been India’s stand.
Some recent concerns in India Russia relations:
• $5.2 billion S-400 air defence system deal between India and Russia has faced challenges due to Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).
• It imposes sanctions on those countries that buy armaments from America’s adversaries.
• Russia continues to see Indo-Pacific as aimed at containing China and refuses to even use the term officially.
• Russia’s viewed Quad as ‘Asian NATO’.
• Russia’s increasing military cooperation with Pakistan.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: India-Russia relations
Mains level: Recent concerns in India Russia relations