• Union Minister of State for Fisheries and Information and Broadcasting Dr. L. Murugan said that India has made it clear that it will not succumb to pressures to withdraw subsidies for the fisheries sector at the upcoming WTO meet in Geneva.
• He said the Union Government has devised several schemes to uplift the lives of fishermen in the country. An allocation of 20,000 crore rupees has been earmarked under the Prime Minister’s Matsya Sampada Yojana for the benefit of the fishing community.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
• The Government has launched the PMMSY for integrated, sustainable, inclusive development of marine and inland fisheries.
• Cage Culture, Seaweed farming, Ornamental Fisheries as well as New Fishing Vessels, Traceability, Laboratory Network etc., are key activities.
• The focus is on islands, Himalayan States, North-east and Aspirational Districts.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
Mains level: Fisheries sector