• The navies of India and Vietnam undertook a bilateral exercise in the South China Sea.
• INS Ranvijay and INS Kora undertook bilateral maritime exercises with Vietnam People’s Navy (VPN) frigate VPNS Ly Thai To (HQ-012).
• The bilateral interaction aims to consolidate the strong bond shared by the two navies and would be another step towards strengthening India-Vietnam defence relations.
• The sea phase included surface warfare exercises, weapon firing drills and helicopter operations. Regular interactions between the two navies over the years have enhanced their interoperability and adaptability.
• Both India and Vietnam have common concerns over China’s military expansionism in the South China Sea.
• Vietnam, an important country of the ASEAN has territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea region.
• India has oil exploration projects in the Vietnamese waters in the South China Sea.
Mains Paper 3: Defence and Security
Prelims level: India-Vietnam Military exercise
Mains level: Highlights about the exercise