• The Institute of Teaching and Research in Ayurveda Bill 2020 has been passed by Rajya Sabha. The Bill was earlier passed in Lok Sabha on 19th March, 2020.
• This paves the way to establish a state-of-the-art Ayurvedic institution called the Institute of Teaching and Research in Ayurveda (ITRA) at Jamnagar, Gujarat, and to confer the status of Institution of National Importance (INI) to it.
• ITRA will be the first institution with INI status in the AYUSH Sector.
• The ITRA is sought to be established by conglomerating the presently existing Ayurveda institutes at Gujarat Ayurveda University campus Jamnagar. This is a cluster of highly reputed institutions, namely;
1. Institute for Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda,
2. Shree GulabKunverba Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, and
3. Institute of Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical sciences,
4. Maharshi Patanjali Institute for Yoga Naturopathy Education and Research (to be made part of the Department of Swasthvritta of the proposed ITRA).
Mains Paper 2: Health
Prelims level: Institute of Teaching and Research in Ayurveda Bill 2020
Mains level: Key highlights about the bill