• Iran has issued an arrest warrant for US President Donald Trump and has requested the Interpol to issue a “Red Notice” and detain him and others who they believe carried out the drone strike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad on January 3 this year.
• The International Police Organisation is commonly known as Interpol.
• It is an international organization facilitating international police cooperation against cross-border terrorism, trafficking, and other crime.
• All decisions regarding the activities of INTERPOL are made by the General Assembly which is it’s ’s supreme governing body which meets annually.
• It is ‘NOT’ a unit or part of united nation system. It is an independent international organization.
• The headquarter is situated at Lyon in France. It was founded in 1923.
• It issues 8 type of notices (7 of which are colour-coded) which are in the form of alert/requests allowing police in member countries to share critical crime-related information.
• Red Notice: To seek the location and arrest of a person wanted by a judicial jurisdiction or an international tribunal with a view to his/her extradition. It is the “closest instrument to an international arrest warrant.”
• Blue Notice: To locate, identify or obtain information on a person of interest in a criminal investigation.
• Green Notice: To warn about a person’s criminal activities if that person is considered to be a possible threat to public safety.
• Yellow Notice: To locate a missing person or to identify a person unable to identify himself/herself.
• Black Notice: To seek information on unidentified bodies.
• Orange Notice: To warn of an event, a person, an object or a process representing an imminent threat and danger to persons or property.
• Purple Notice: To provide information on modus operandi, procedures, objects, devices or hiding places used by criminals.
• Interpol-UNSC Special Notice: To inform Interpol’s members that an individual or an entity is subject to UN sanctions.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Interpol Notices
Mains level: Highlights the types of Interpol Notices