• 315 water supply schemes of Rs. 9,544 Crore has been approved under Jal Jeevan Mission for Jharkhand. These schemes will provide tap water supply to about 8 lakh rural households in 4,424 villages of the State.
About Jal Jeevan Mission
• Launched in 2019, the chief objective of the Mission is to provide Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household by 2024 and thereby ensuring potable water supply in adequate quantity i.e. @ 55 lpcd (Litres per capita per day) of prescribed quality on a long-term and regular basis.
• This Mission is under the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
• It focuses on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level.
• The programme also implements source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through greywater management, water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
• The Jal Jeevan Mission is based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and Communication (IEC) as a key component of the mission.
• JJM looks to create a Jan Andolan (People’s Movement) for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
• The fund sharing pattern is 90:10 for Himalayan and North-Eastern States; 50:50 for other States and 100% for UTs.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Jal Jeevan Mission
Mains level: Government policies and interventions for development