• Delimitation Commission (DC) for Jammu and Kashmir was constituted last year to redraw Lok Sabha and assembly constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir union territory.
• Delimitation in Jammu and Kashmir will be based on Census of 2011.
• Delimitation means the act or process of fixing boundaries of territorial constituencies in a country or a province having a legislative body.
• Articles 82 and 170 provide for readjustment and division of each State into territorial constituencies (Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies respectively) after every Census.
• In India, such DC have been constituted in 1952, 1963, 1973 and 2002.
• Dc is setup by Delimitation Act passed by parliament.
• DC is appointed by the President of India and works in collaboration with the Election Commission of India.
• Its orders have the force of law and cannot be called in question before any court.
Functions of DC:
• Determining number and boundaries of constituencies to make population of all constituencies nearly equal.
• Identifying seats reserved for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, wherever their population is relatively large.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Delimitation Commission
Mains level: Role of Delimitation Commission